Friday, September 13, 2013

Week 2 Completed

(email dated 9/12/13)

This was what will probably be a pretty regular week here at the MTC, lots and lots of studying! I have never studied so hard in my life! I am pretty well over homesick, this week has been very good in terms for that, however it is in part because of one scripture in Matthew that I am pretty sure will help me survive my whole mission!

Matthew 19: 29, "And everyone that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." My teacher shared that with me at the beginning of the week, and I wrote it in big letters and have it hanging above my bed. That scripture touched straight to my heart, and was such a comfort knowing that all the time I give to the lord he will give back to me a hundredfold, and will bless not only me but my entire family.

Another great quote that I absolutely love is by Bruce R. McConkie and it is called My Mission Commission.
I am called of God. My authority is above that of the Kings of the Earth. By revelation, I have been selected as a personal representative of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is my master, and He has chosen me to represent Him. To stand in His place, to say and do what He himself would say and do if He were personally ministering to the very people to whom He has sent me. My voice is His voice, my acts are His acts, my words are His words, and my doctrine is His doctrine. My commission is to do what He wants done, to say what He wants said, to be a living modern witness in word and deed of the divinity of His great and marvelous latter-day work. How great is my calling!

This quote brings tears to my eyes every time, it is so powerful and shows the true purpose of us as missionaries and how we all strive to be!

This week I learned a lot about the Holy Ghost, and about how it can bless all of our lives in many different ways. He  can be a comforter, a teacher, give us guidance, testify of the truth, and many many other things. Being on a mission, you begin to understand why we are taught to try to keep the Holy Ghost our constant companion. Each and everyday I have manifested to me the truthfulness of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I am so thankful for the companionship of the Holy Ghost, and pray everyday that my loved ones back home, will be able to feel of that holy presence.

I have started reading the New Testament from the beginning, and I have such a greater appreciation for the miracles and work my Savior did while on this earth. As I read, and study I am always finding new ways that these stories I have heard all my life can apply to me, and my work. The New Testament, has a powerful yet simple spirit, that speaks to everyone. In my studies of The Book of Mormon, or as we refer to it, El Libro de Mormón, I have grown to love it even more. We as members of the church often take for granted how lucky we are to have this wonderful companion to the Bible. The truth and power of the Book of Mormon radiate off every page, and I have learned so much from it.

After our Sunday devotional, we went and watched one of Elder Holland's Talks that was given last thanksgiving here at the MTC. One of the things that stood out to me was when we were told, something to the degree of, "Don't just think you are going to bust out these next to years and then return to your so called regular lives! THIS IS AS REAL LIFE AS IT WILL EVER GET! (In Elder Holland's way of speaking of course) Never in your life will you do something more important then this mission. NEVER. Going and getting married to your future wives or husbands, and starting an eternal family will be equally important, but never more." There is nothing like a talk from Elder Holland to bring you back down to earth. As he was bearing his testimony, and explaining that he could never deny  that Jesus was the Christ, the thought came to me, "What would it be like to have a testimony like that. How amazing would it be to be Elder Brennen T. Hall, have that kind of Apostolic witness." Then, my another thought came into my mind, "You already are Elder Brennen T. Hall." How amazing it was to truly realize that I have the same title, for the next to years as an Apostle, and that for these two years to have the same responsibility to spread the message of Jesus Christ to the earth.

Everything here at the MTC, is going great! I am thankful for the teachers I have, for my companion and the other missionaries in my district. Please keep sending letters, (And maybe even a package! ;D ) they help so much! And although I can't take the time to reply and give everyone this long and in depth of an update, I hope you all know how much I love you, and miss you. I pray for my loved ones every single morning, night, and through out the day!

I want to end this weeks update with something I have been pondering probably the most this week. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, is either true or it is not. There is no gray area, it is black and white. The ONLY way we can gain any kind of knowledge of any spiritual truths is to get down on our knees, and humbly pray to our Father in Heaven, and ask if these things are true. I can testify that if you take the time, and ask having faith, and in the name of Jesus Christ that the truthfulness of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints will be manifested unto you. My life and my heart has forever been touched by the power of the Holy Spirit, and I KNOW for a fact it will touch anyone who asks with a sincere heart.

Con Todos Mi Amor,
Elder Hall   

No comments:

Post a Comment