Monday, September 29, 2014

Another week, a little more testimony, and some new bikes!

(email from Sept 15, 2014)

Buenas Tardes a Todos! 

Well I am back! Another week out the window! But I won´t dwell on the time fact like I do in everyother letter! You all know time is flying by for me! 

We had a good week this week! We are starting to have lots of set appointments with people, and we are finding a lot of new investigators, so between all of the appointments and everything we have been running around alot! Thankgoodness today we finally got our bikes fixed, and so tomorrow we will start using them and hopefully they will help us be more efficient and be able to visit more people! 

We were hoping to have a couple of baptisms at the end of this month, but it looks like they will get pushed to the end of october. One hting that I am not to sure about here, is that we only baptize the last saturday of the month as a stake, and transfers fall the week before the end of october! So I probably won´t get to see the baptisms of any of my investigators, because I am sure that I am leaving spegazzini in another 5 weeks! Truth to be told it makes me sad to think that I am probably going to be leaving, When I first got to Spegazzini, I will be honest I didn´t really like it, but now I love it. It is a ward that has alot of challenges, but there are some amazing members, and people here that I seriously can not imagine my life with out having met them. 

(SIDENOTE: Alright so you all know my english gets worse, and worse everyweek, and my grammar has just gone pretty far down hill as well. I hope you all can get around the spelling and grammar errors and get my message!) 

Each and every day I am so thankful for the decision I made to serve a mission. I have had so many experiences here that it makes me sick to think about what would have happened if I hadn´t have come on a mission. How many life experiences both spiritual, and just regular life lessons would I have missed out on. I gotta just take a second, and encourage anyone who has the desires to go out and serve the Lord, to do it. I am not just talking about leaving on a mission. I am talking about serving in our own churches, helping a neighbor, or just trying to be a better person. There are ways for each and everyone of us to serve the Lord, wether your Mormon or not. I have decided what the world needs these days is more of the simple things. We are so busy with our day to day lives that we forget what it is like to just walk, and enjoy the moment. To do something nice for a stranger, or to stop and truly listen to a friend in need. My slogan these days has been ¨Poquito a poquito¨ or in english ¨little by little¨. Its ¨poquito a poquito¨ that we can change as human beings, we don´t have to be just another person in the crowd, we truly can make a difference in the world around us. 

We could look at  the life of Jesus in a couple of different standpoints, lets go first for the world standpoint. He was a man. He was born in a small village, in a barn. He grew up and was trained in the art of carpentry. Then at the age of 30 years old he started a movement that would change the world forever. Out of fishermen, tax collectors, and all sorts of common men he chose  12 others to assist him. Through the teachings of these 13 men started one of, if not the largest changes in the world. Then three years later he died. He only taught for 3 years! We are now 2014 years after his birth, and to this day He changes lives. And He was born in a manger.This one man has changed more lives than any other person who has ever lived, and  it still is happening! How many other people in this world have done something like that? 

When we look at a religous standpoint, the actual teachings  of Jesus are the best ways to have a better life. I remember talking with my mom one day, and it was something that truly impacted me, we were talking about the church, and about Christ, and about our lives, and she said something to the degree of maybe this all isn´t true, maybe it is some big lie, maybe we die, and that´s it, but if it is that way what is wrong with the way we live our lives, what is wrong with trying to have a united family, to be honest, to help others, that you don´t need to have all the riches in the world, but can be happy with the simple things in life. She obviously went on to say that she truly belived that these things were real, and that Jesus is the Christ, but it is somehting I have shared with many people, and it kinda brings things full circle. If you want a better life, put His teachings into practice.

Some might say I am crazy to give up two years of my life to go out and teach people about Jesus, but you know what, I think the rest of the people are crazy to turn down such a life changing experience. Like I said for more then 2000 years the teachings of Jesus have been changing and bettering people´s lives, and that won´t stop. My favorite scripture in the Book of Mormon is 2 Nephi 31:20-21:

20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

 21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.

There is no other way, this is the Savior´s gospel, and all of us even though we are each just one person, must do what we can to help out the world around us. It´s up to us, and when we do it, and when we press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, our world´s will change, our families will change, and our hearts will change. I am just one man, but hey so was He. Poquito a poquito right?  

Elder Hall 

No comments:

Post a Comment