Friday, July 31, 2015

Hey Everybody :)

(email from July 13, 2015)

Muy Buenas Tardes mis Queridos Amigos :) 

Well as time keeps passing faster and faster it seems that I am continually touched by small things that make every moment count. It seems that every day I continue to learn more and more that helps me to become better and gives me more desires to be a better person and missionary. 

This week we had the opportunity to meet our new mission president. Presidente Nuñez is an amazing guy who I wish I had more time to get to know him. I was inspired by his energy and desires he has to serve the Lord, and make this mission become the best it can. As I have expressed a few times I was sad to be leaving President and Sister Thurgood but as it always is when we get transferred or change companions the sadness wears off quick and we are just left with the fond memories of the past. Some cool things that President has changed is that we get a little more money each month for fruits and vegetables! (haleluya!) We are able to get together with the other missionaries on Pdays more often, and probably the two biggest changes is that he wants us to attend the temple to go to baptisms with our converts and we can now drink Mate (Mah-tay) the traditional Argentine herbal drink! So we are suuuuupppppeeeeer excited! On Saturday we will be headed to the temple with Maria Romero and the rest of the ward, and well we have already been drinking a ton of mate! So the new president not only is a great guy spiritually but he also won us all over that way! 

This week we had a pretty tough experience that honestly broke my heart. As we talked with one of the sisters in the ward she told us about her niece that was 21 years old and already had 3 kids and unfortunately abuses them. To save you all and to save myself from having to explain further details of what exactly went on just know it was pretty strong especially with the oldest daughter who is 5. Now basically anyone who knows me knows that kids have a special place in my heart. There is just something about being an older brother that it is just natural for me and honestly to hear the things that happened was comparable to ripping my very heart out of my chest. I just sat and listened and then we said a prayer with the sister and in my prayer I just started crying and got super emotional. 

We live in a very degraded society and the more and more that I hear from friends and family I realize it is in all parts. My dear friends and family take care of your little ones, love them, teach them and help them to understand what things are going on this world. Talking with my mom today she said something that I completely agree with she told me, ¨In my opinion its just time to face the facts, Christians hide their beliefs because of ridicule, & as parents we have to teach our kids to stand up for what they believe in & not be ashamed. It just gets harder & harder.¨ One of the biggest things I have learned is that sheltering is not the answer quite honestly it makes things even harder for kids when they get into the real world. I obviously am not a parent but I have talked with a lot and know that there has to be a balance in between protecting and sheltering and each family needs to find their own balance.

It is so important that we as a society and especially as members of the church need to do all that we can to protect and educate the children of today. In The Family: A Proclamation to the World it states, 
THE FAMILY is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities.
The only way to achieve true happiness in this world and in the world to come is by doing what is right and following the immeasurable example of our Savior Jesus Christ. He is the only one that can lead us back to calmer waters where we will be able to enjoy the blessings and the protection of our Heavenly Father! May we all be able to find the strength that we need to help and support our families. Have a great week! :) 

Elder Hall 

No comments:

Post a Comment